In that mass communications class I took this spring, we were presented with the idea of 'possible selves'. Our professor defined this as: the real or fictional role models we use in order to imagine who we will become.
I really liked this term, because it's basically the story of my life. I sort of take bits and pieces of what other people do and how the behave, and put them all together to create who I am as a person. Most of my possible selves are fictional.
I like to think I've got Ron Weasley's loyalty, but his sister's spirit as well. I've got Hermione's love for books, and Jo March's interest in adventure. Maybe Nancy Drew's intuition. Plus many more.
If I try to model myself after my favorite characters, then I figure I'll like what comes out of it. This isn't to say that I'm not my own person; that's not the case at all. I'm still Ariel.
Who are your possible selves?
No comments:
Post a Comment